Wednesday 16 May 2012

Currently Reading: Medieval History and Romanticism

Occasionally I get distracted and while I prepare for the completion of the next book I have been doing the ground work for a project that has long been simmering away at the back of my brain. To this end I have kindled Life in a Medieval Village by Frances and Joseph Gies and William Morris's The Well Beyond the Woods

Much of this material is also useful for book 5 which will be slightly more countrified than previous Peter Grant books. I always like to get maximum mileage out of my reading.

3 comments:

Leslie said...

Here is a awesome bit of reference material for Peter! (The original is probably in the Folly somewhere, no doubt...)

http://londonist.com/2012/05/stephen-walters-map-of-subterranean-london.php

Chris O'Neill said...

Another book you could also read would be Montaillou by Ladurie - its based on the records of a man who became pope - after arranging the inquisition in his home town. A lot about the Albigensian Crusade in Langue d'Or regions of south western France.

Ben Aaronovitch said...

I have Montaillou on the list, especially since I'm looking for Southern European stuff.